Monday, January 26, 2009

Start at the very begining

Over the course of the next two months, I will describe our adventure, bringing Pacific Overtures to the stage. It has been one of my favorite musicals ever since I first listened to the cast recording in 1994. I was struck by the haunting beauty of the music and the clever lyrics. I didn't begin to grasp the profoundness of the material until I picked up a copy of the script.

Pacific Overtures is the story of the great nation of Japan which is forced to reinvent itself. It is about western imperialism and class warfare, as told through the eyes of common folks. Author John Weidman took historical facts and gave them a dramatic human interest story. It reminds me of the great history plays by Shakespeare. The transformation of an entire nation of people is seen in the microcosm of a few ordinary people.

I find the material unfortunately relevant. We continue to march into foreign lands bringing peace with a price. Lives are lost, but so is individual identity. Assimilation is a virtue.

The twist of Pacific Overtures is that the conquered people have an entirely different response. The Japanese do not bow down to the west, but rather absorb us. They have learned from our culture, taken what works, and excelled. The tables have turned.

No comments:

Post a Comment